Prior to 1921, there were no formal facilities or premises for Deaf people in WA. Informal gatherings often took place at the Levitzke family bakery in Midland. On 9 July 1921, twelve Deaf people met at the home of R.B. Jeffrey's parents at 47 Railway Parade, Mt Lawley. It was at this meeting that a committee was formed.
During 1921, monthly meetings were maintained with contact being made with other state Societies for advice and guidance. A set of rules was drawn up and approved, fundraising commenced and church services and gatherings held. The committee was called ‘The Western Australian Adult Deaf Society'.
During an Annual General Meeting on 28 September 1968, a majority vote by members led to the Society being renamed as ‘The Western Australian Deaf Society'.