Latest News

WADS Easter Appeal 2015
WADS Easter Appeal 2015

WA DEAF SOCIETY EASTER APPEAL 

Click here to watch Drisana's video message

The WA Deaf Society Easter Appeal flyer will be arriving to a limited number of households early next week. It’s possible that you may not receive a copy so please donate directly to the WA Deaf Society by visiting:- Givenow.com.au

or alternatively by downloading and completing the WADS Easter Appeal flyer (Download PDF [1.90M]).

“The WA Deaf Society has always supported me in reaching my goals so please support their amazing work in encouraging other Deaf and hard of hearing children reach their fullest potential”

DRISANA LEVITZKE-GRAY 
YOUNG AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR 2015
__________________________________________________________________

Dear Community Member, 

Did you know that 95% of deaf children are born to hearing parents and 95% of Deaf parents have hearing children.

Since 1921 the WA Deaf Society (WADS) has provided a cultural hub for the WA Deaf Community, from where essential services have been delivered, as well as providing a sense of place for Deaf and hard of hearing people.

Our purpose is to enable Deaf and hard of hearing people to experience full citizenship and enjoyment of life.

In recognition of her outstanding Deaf advocacy work, Drisana Levitzke-Gray was recently awarded Young Australian of the Year 2015. Drisana has welcomed the opportunity to support WADS Easter fundraising appeal, to enable other Deaf people to continue to have access to essential services and the opportunity to fulfil their potential. 

This Easter, our appeal is more crucial than ever as the demand for our services is increasing and yet the funds we need to operate efficiently are becoming much harder to get. We urgently need your help. Did you know that:-

• $10 will provide a healthy morning snack for a Deaf children’s playgroup.
• $25 will provide art materials for Deaf children to enjoy creative activities.
• $40 will provide the opportunity for new story books to be purchased for Deaf children’s story time.
• $70 will enable the hearing parents of a Deaf child to have 1 hour of individual support to learn Auslan (Australian Sign Language).
• $75 will enable a Deaf person to have access to an Auslan interpreter at a loved one’s funeral or a family member’s wedding ceremony.
• $150 will enable 30 Deaf seniors to participate in an information and activities session.

The WA Deaf Society receives only 16% of it’s operational costs from the WA State Government and the other 84% needs to be sourced from fundraising activities, fee for services and mostly from the generosity of the WA public. 

Without your support WADS will be unable to continue providing some essential services to the WA Deaf Community. 

I ask you to please donate generously and together we can enable WA Deaf children to reach their fullest potential.
 
Yours sincerely,

Damian Lacey
CEO

Video Cover